Post Title: Senior Biochemist
Post Status: Permanent
Department Chemical Pathology
Location: Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9
Reports to: Principal Biochemist
Salary: Appointment will be made on Senior Biochemist salary scale (€54,954 - €72,377) at a point in line with Government pay policy.
Hours of work: Full-Time
Closing Date: 12 Noon on 18th August 2019
(Please note: The hospital reserves the right to close the competition early should a substantial number of applications be received)
• To perform such duties appropriate to the office under the supervision of the Principal Biochemist or as delegated.
• To perform the duties of a Senior Grade Biochemist in the Department of Chemical Pathology, Beaumont Hospital.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• To take part in clinical validation, follow-up and reporting of test results.
• To monitor and ensure the quality of analyses and service provided by the department, through quality control and quality assurance programmes, which incorporate corrective and remedial action.
• To train junior staff as may be required and to participate in training and development courses within Beaumont Hospital.
• To actively participate in journal clubs and academic meetings within the department
• To optimise the method and range of biochemical investigation provided, by undertaking the evaluations of methods and instruments and by participation in clinical and laboratory audit.
• To work in an efficient and cost effective manner and with due regard to regulations governing health, safety and working conditions within the laboratory in co-operation with other professional groups, including scientific, clinical ,technical staff, and hospital management to achieve the optimal clinical biochemistry service.
• To keep abreast of development in clinical biochemistry in particular in relation to the specialist area of work and the application of new techniques in the delivery of biochemistry services
Selection criteria outline the qualifications, skills, knowledge and/or experience that the successful candidate would need to demonstrate for successful discharge of the responsibilities of the post.
Applications will be assessed on the basis of how well candidates satisfy these criteria.
• Must possess a BSC (Hons / BA (Mod) in a subject related to clinical biochemistry/ laboratory medicine and diagnostics or equivalent qualification.
• Possess an MSc ( taught) or Research ( or higher qualification) in Clinical Biochemistry or relevant subject area
• 3 years post qualification experience in clinical biochemistry/ related discipline
• Possess requisite knowledge and ability including a high standard of suitability and management ability for proper discharge of the duties of office.
• To have experience in Clinical Endocrinology and Mass Spectrometry Methodology
The Hospital www.beaumont.ie
Management Unit: www.beaumont.ie/hr
Other (Please specify):
Informal Enquiries ONLY to:
Name: Geraldine Collier
Title: Principal Biochemist
Email address: email@example.com
Telephone: 01 7977453